Saturday, April 23, 2011

Easter bags...




A number of years ago, I was given this fabric from Jo-Ann's by a friend when she went home to the US for a trip. I used a bit for a project but last night turned the stash upside down and inside out looking for it(following moving house) and the dining room and kitchen were covered in boxes, wadding, fabric, and the traumatic sight of a few unfinished projects. Cruelty to crafters, getting all the stash out at once. But I was grateful for Matthew's help cos the boxes are heavy and we are going to re-organise everything so I can a) get to stuff and b) use it.

Anyway, Easter egg print is useful once a year, and last night was going to be it or I would have to wait till next year. And I wanted to give the little easter Haigh's choccies a little differently. So here they are. VERY quick to make, and tied only simply with ribbon round which is sewn on one seam. I've used that idea for childrens' party bags in the days I wanted to have a "no-landfill" gift bag for the children but also had time to make 25 bean bags to go in 25 party bags. Mind boggles. This year they got a tennis ball each and no bag!!!

Good to use the sewing machine again though! I plan to be strict with myself and mend some of the boys' trousers that need knees patching because there are a lot of nice pairs with holes in the knee that didn't even last the whole winter last year. I am glad we've moved to a house with carpet (but now don't have a useful wooden floorboard living room to tape down my quilts while I baste them). Somehow I think it will be a while before I need to embrace that problem. :(

2 comments:

  1. I've heard so much about Jo-Ann's ... cotton fabric is getting so very expensive here, now :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I spent a fortune on 3m yesterday, but it's an important project so was worth it because it is perfect for my needs... but other than that, I am enjoying stash sewing, and I DO have a fons and porter kit waiting for when I have "a moment" (ha ha)

    ReplyDelete