Monday, March 28, 2011

Quilter's Block.

I have a SEVERE case of Quilter's Block. At least that is what I am calling it! I haven't made anything since January. The panadiere was the last creation (and I was desperate to make more). We've moved house instead. So that was the original block - needing to pack sewing and everything else away, find a house (that bit was the trickiest, we were 2 weeks away from homelessness), and then move into it.

The "Block" now is my conscience. I have to teach the children, though yes real life is doing a lot of that too. So in all conscience, with boxes (still) to unpack, homes for things to find, little mouths the feed and Little Hs to teach... I can't exactly spend every spare (ha ha) minute sewing. I have lots of ideas, and do need to make an ideas list. That will help with the Quilter's Block no end. Cos I will feel like something is happening and I will have some sewing time soon. I'll carve it out from somewhere. With Little H-Joy due in June, if I don't do some sewing soon it's going to be AGES before I do any more and I did have big plans for this sewing year.

Just had a realisation, though, that I don't have a nice hard wooden floor any more for pinning out quilts before, well, quilting them... I guess I will have to look at how other people do it. I doubt you can do it on lino. And I doubt even more that the lino in the kitchen would EVER be clean enough...

4 comments:

  1. I have knitting block. I think it's cause I'm working on a scarf for dh and I know how long it's going to take to finish and I'm a bit bored. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    So for the fabric hair clips I just learned how to make the "yoyo's" by searching on YouTube for a video tutorial. They have lots of options of fun fabric flower tutorials. Then, after making the yoyo, I stack and hand stitch them together, then stitch them and glue them onto the previously lined with ribbon alligator clip. :o) Let me know if you have any other questions as you try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a floor I can lay quilts out on, either ... I use a large dining room table, line up one end with backing and wadding, and using the flat of both hands, smooth towards the sides, over and over again until I'm satisfied!The quilt sandwich slides easily enough over the table so I can move it along as I work.

    HTH hep xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks - yes people do these things in different ways don't they?! My friend's mum the other night was telling me she simply smooths it out over the spare double bed, and spray bastes the layers together. I'm not sure I'd want to risk that for a large special project, and my "next trick" may be one I send away for quilting by a pro because it's a special one for a friend with memory fabrics... I think that would do it better justice than me trying to stuff it through my machine... *must get machine quilting lessons* but reference latest post referring to the fact I don't usually "practise" anything...

    ReplyDelete