Saturday, May 7, 2011

Are we there yet??!

I had an idea for Mother's Day for MIL and produced this quilted photo last week. I finished it today by adding a label on the back.

It is called "Are we there yet?" because that is the book LittleH#1 was reading to his sibs in the photo - a lovely photo of them all together, and Grandma and Grandpa are just about to go on their own little adventure seeing a bit of the outback, so I hope the choice is a good one.

It was the first time I have attempted mitred borders, and I am pleased with the end result, though there were a few tears last week and I "rang a friend" (well, friend's mum) but in the end I worked it out myself and managed it. I kind of kick myself when I try out something new on a project I need to get right the first time but it's my personality. I don't practise much in life, I tend to like to try to do it for real the first time, and want to get it right. I don't really have enough time anyway to spend sewing things that aren't actually going to turn into things, if that makes sense!

So, I finally cut into my stash of fat quarters that came free with a magazine subscription, they've been tempting me for some time. I puzzled over how (and whether) to label the back but decided it was important and in the end bought some new fabric pens, and used leftover border to make a border for the quilt label. I am as pleased with the back of the 'photo' as the front! I did google for ideas but (although I doubt my project is amazingly original) could find nothing similar on the internet so I just decided on the size and design myself. I am really pleased with how it's turned out, a nice "different" thing to do with a photo, instead of sticking it on a mug like everyone else. Nothing wrong with mugs but I can't compete in the photo stakes so am not trying. :) Maybe if I make a few more of these (my mum's next on the list!) I will begin to be able  to justify a new camera. Although the quality of my sewing photographs probably in itself does justify a new one...







No comments:

Post a Comment