Saturday, May 14, 2011

Progress with the Nightdresses!!

Close up (ish) of my plans so far!
I have decided that the "star" in the 4th block - as yet white on the plans because I don't know how many of the other blocks I can make - will contain a point from 4 each of the nightdresses, and a white patterned border. I am waiting to confirm this after seeing how much I have and how many of the other blocks I can make. I want to make minimum 4 each of the first 3 blocks. I can play around with borders etc if I have that many, and still get away with a Queen sized quilt, I hope.


Overtaking the kitchen table - cutting, fusing, calculating numbers of triangles and squares I have enough to cut so far


Fabric looking more like...fabric...
 This is the result of my first night's measuring and cutting. I ended up being able to buy a roll of fusible web stabiliser for $9. It was a 10m roll and the lady at Spotlight suggested it instead of what I was about to buy following a chat with her, and she saved me some money. I'm glad about that because I also had a look at the queen sized wadding packages and they're not cheap... plus I think it will need to be professionally quilted to do it justice when I've finished... will see about that. I need to try to finish the quilting on the single bed sized quilt I have made (Spaceranger) and from which the idea for this quilt top has come.

I didn't fuse the pink fabric, but it was starched as I went, and I *think* it will be ok not backed. It's going to have to be I think unless when I start to sew it looks shocking in which case I will carefully have to back the strips and even more carefully cut them back out again. I don't think they will be accurate enough if I do that.

Backing the white fabric (the absolute thinnest and worst quality in sewing terms of all the dresses bar the other white pattern) I discovered that cutting the strips slightly wider, then backing them, then trimming them to the width I wanted was the most accurate way of getting the strips right.

The strips I am cutting are 3 1/2 in strips for the corner squares, and 3 7/8 in strips for the triangles. I've tried this both ways with triangles - first time I did le Moyne Star (first memory quilt) I was advised by a quilt shop assistant to cut them to 4in, and then do the triangles, and then trim to size at the end. This allows for problems with accuracy. But I am accurate when I sew and actually I just found this frustrating and more work. So the next Le Moyne I did (Spaceranger, as yet a UFO ha ha) I cut them exactly to 3 7/8 and the blocks were perfect. Am hoping they will be something like that again. ;)

I've since (because blogger's been down) cut some more and backed some more... and now the green fabric has been transformed into strips of 3 1/2 in and 3 7/8 in. I have labelled the strips on scraps of paper, measuring how many squares I can cut out of each strip (because of course the strips are not uniform length having originated from nightdresses rather than a nice roll of fabric!) and pinned the information. I am keeping a record of how many squares and triangles I can make from each one. I will then sit down and work out how many blocks  I can make. It seems a bit Heath Robinson to work it out as I go along like this but as I am not working from a pattern that tells me how many squares and triangles I need (and even if I did know that, I don't actually know how many each nightdress will yield).

I will decide on the border widths and fabrics once I have made the blocks and discovered how many I can do. I am hoping for 20 blocks, 4 across, 5 rows, and then thin borders between them, larger border round the edge.

Now I have the strips nicely starched, backed and pinned with the papers - they 'look' like fabric now and I am actually looking forward to cutting and piecing the blocks. It really has transformed the fabric and reassured me that I have enough (which I was worrying about).

I am reserving judgement on the bridesmaid dress. I had thought, looking at my plans, it might make an acceptable border, with the red section being the squares pieced into the border. But I looked at the dress again last night and I am just not sure. My neighbour is a dressmaker. When I have the blocks made I will lay them out with her, get her opinion on whether I should cut up the dress and use it or not. I don't want to cut it up and not use it!!!!! Wouldn't care if it was mine, or Op Shop in origin but it's a sentimental garment and does not deserve that treatment!

So my progress and process is charted. Nice to keep track of a project in this way, and actually it is helpful in keeping me accountable to making progress. I am working on it daily at the moment, in the evening. I will retreat back to the sewing room when I've done the cutting but for now, I need the bigger table, ironing board, and am enjoying the company with Matthew while we watch replays of Australian Masterchef on the computer. Can't abide the adverts so we are watching it online after the episodes have been put up.

6 comments:

  1. Sal, can I ask why you're fusing the interfacing after cutting and not before? Would it not be easier to fuse a whole piece if you are cutting strips and there will be no waste?

    And your star ... are you using half square triangles or a complete diamond shape?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In all honesty I am experimenting with the fusible web and getting better as I go. ;) I did bigger sections once I was happy about how it was bonding and no there's not a lot of waste, I've been careful.

    I can't bond too wide a piece at a time anyway, most I can do is about 3 strips, and that's working out ok.

    As for the star - yes using the triangle method. It was the method in the original Fons & Porter pattern I've used for the Space quilt (http://sewlifesewlavie.blogspot.com/2011/01/unfinished-business.html) and it worked out well to use the triangles. I don't use a rotary cutter and I wouldn't be able to cut the diamonds easily... I'm up against it with time and I have done the triangles twice before so: the triangles have it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely project! It'll be gorgeous when it's done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, it looks absolutely fab and completely beyond me! I don't speak sewing-speak at all and am full of admiration.
    Hugs to my clever friend :)
    Autumn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see some of it put together, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete