Monday, January 3, 2011

Midnight Mystery Quilt!

I am sure I could add the word "Midnight" before many of my creations, as could many crafters! So the idea of going to a class at my local quilting shop entitled "Midnight Mystery Quilt" seemed as good as anything else! No babysitting issues, I'd most likely be sewing that time of night at home anyway, but the added bonus of making my first patchwork quilt top with a group of other far more experienced quilters (like, they'd done at least one before!) and pizza and hot chocolate on top (not on top of the quilt) = my dream Friday night!!!

So... it was from a jelly roll (Anna Lisa cut and rolled the fabrics for us in advance) and we had to choose "Country" or "Florals" in advance of the night - the rest was the Mystery! I hovered over the choice but thankfully had read at least one quilting magazine prior to enrolling, and decided Country was it for me. Wise choice (from my point of view).

I did the class about 6 weeks before Little Miss H was born. So it was inevitable I suppose that the quilt would be nearly another year before I finished it. Mostly what stopped me was lack of any help in assembling and quilting (had to look at internet sites to calculate backing, and wadding, and work out vaguely how to baste and quilt). Then a new-old friend (who conveniently identified herself as a quilting geek...) kindly came over and helped me tape the quilt to the floor in my living room, layer and baste it, and then I quilted simply on the diagonal. Just in time for her birthday - I think I had a few weeks to spare.

I had a bit of extra time left over so I made a Waldorf inspired doll from leftover wadding, a baby sleep suit she'd worn, and an old tshirt of mine (face, hands and feet) that the boys and I dyed in tea.




Voilla! Happy girl on her birthday quilt with her doll. Not much else a fourth baby needs for their first birthday really, is there????!

No comments:

Post a Comment